Were you injured on someone’s property because there was no signage indicating possible hazards? Did you lose a loved one to a surgery-related error? Were you involved in a car accident that resulted in multiple fractures? You may have a valid personal injury case, and in New York, you have a deadline of three years from the date of the mishap to pursue your case and sue the other party. If you are looking for lawyers, you can check this link – https://www.sullivangalleshaw.com/queens-personal-injury-lawyers/. Below is an overview of what an attorney can do for you.
- Your lawyer will explain your rights and legal options. NY is a no-fault state for car accidents, and you can only sue the other at-fault driver if your injury claim meets specific prerequisites. There are more aspects of personal injury law that an attorney can explain in detail. They will also explain your rights and what you should and shouldn’t do following the injury. The first meeting with a PI lawyer doesn’t have to cost anything.
- Your lawyer will find more on fault and liability. If you were injured due to a product defect, multiple parties could be at fault. One of the critical aspects of personal injury claims is about finding fault and liability. Your lawyer will determine who is responsible for your losses and take action immediately.
- Your lawyer will review the evidence. Because you are filing the claim, you are required to prove the fault and liability of the accused party. As you get better and recover from your injuries, your attorney can gather evidence and copies of the police report and find witnesses for testimonies.
- Your lawyer will also talk to experts. At times, just photos, videos, and circumstantial evidence are not enough to prove a claim. Your attorney may consult medical professionals about your injuries and can hire accident reconstruction services to determine and prove how the accident happened.
- Your lawyer will take care of the paperwork. Any legal matter requires paperwork, forms, and documentation, and if you don’t understand how to deal with all that, hiring a lawyer is always a better idea. Your lawyer will ensure that all formalities are adhered to.
As for the cost of hiring a PI lawyer in NY, it depends largely on the case, but there is usually no upfront fee. The attorney gets a share of your final financial settlement only when you win.